Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Plastic Containers



The design of plastic containers in theory is a great one. I like the idea. I like what they do. They are a convenient way to store food and liquids, cheaply and effectively. They are stack able, reusable, microwaveable, dishwasher safe. If you drop them they wont break. Even plastic bottles from vending machines are a great storage design. Its an easy way to package a single or more serving of soda or other beverage neatly. You can even screw the cap back on if you aren't finished with your drink. Try that with glass bottles. I think all the greatness of these devices have blinded a lot of people of what these things are actually made from. I have always known they were made from petroleum but I don't think I actually analyzed that for food storage. What happens to plastic that is heated up? After doing some research I have come to the conclusion that storing and cooking food in plastic is only safe and a good idea if done properly. Only microwave plastic that is microwave safe and only freeze plastic that is freezer safe. I've also read not to have plastic wrap or storage bags touch your food in the microwave and use paper towels instead to cover your food. All this is due to chemicals that can be released into your food, which in turn will be released into your body. So use the design of plastic storage containers safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment