Monday, November 2, 2009

Space Truckers

Space Truckers

I found this article on the NPR website about "space truckers". The idea of it is to have private companies eventually being the ones, instead of NASA, to move equipment and people back and forth from Earth and the International Space Station. At first I wasn't sure if I liked the idea of this much. Corporate America, in my mind, shouldn't be messing around in space. But, the more I looked into the design it actually seemed to make sense. The government operated NASA can spend more time and money towards exploration and science while the corporate world can compete to see who can make the best craft for two way space travel and do it more efficiently and cost effective. My concern is with the training that would be involved with operating the crafts. Would these private companies use existing astronauts to move their goods, or would they start a new training program for any qualified individual? And who would be considered a qualified individual? After looking into this change of space travel I feel it is a good idea, but needs to be very carefully done.

No comments:

Post a Comment